The project “Technical Support to Forest Policy Development and National Forest Inventory Implementation” (SFI) was established in the framework of the Bilateral Cooperation Program of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL). It is a continuation of activities, which started in 2018 within the forestry component of the German-Ukrainian Agriculture Policy Dialogue project.
SFI is implemented based on an agreement between GFA Group, the general authorized executor of BMEL, and the State Forest Resources Agency (SFRA) of Ukraine since October 2021. On behalf of GFA Group, the executing agencies – Unique land use GmbH and IAK Agrar Consulting GmbH – are in charge of the implementation jointly with SFRA.
Due to significant war-related damage and losses of inventory equipment and resources an increase of the SFI budget was initiated in 2022 by BMEL under the title: Special Support to Ukraine National Forest Inventory (SNFI).
The objective of the SFI/SNFI projects is to increase capacities with regard to forest policies, mainly related to National Forest Inventory, state forest management and forest management planning based on European and German experiences embedded in the overall framework of EU-Ukraine Association Agreement.
- Forest policy recommendations and improved normative documents for forest management are endorsed by the technical advisory group on forestry of SFRA and accepted by MEРR
- Preliminary results of the National Forest Inventory are verified and approved by MEРR for further dissemination
- Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources (MEPR)
- Committee of the Verkhovna Rada on Environmental Policy and Nature Management
- Ukraine State Forest Resource Agency (SFRA)
- Ukrainian State Forest Management Planning Agency (SFMPA- Lisproject)
- Centre of National Forest Inventory (CNFI)
Timeframe 36 months (October 2021 – September 2024)
Project location The project office is formally located at SFMPA in Irpin around 20 km outside of Kyiv
German contribution ~ 830.000 EURO gross/ 3 years
Ukrainian contribution ~ 1.000.000 EURO (budget provided for NFI implementation)
German additional funds ~ 572.000 EURO gross (Special Support as from 12.2022 – end 2023)